Zakharova also criticized international human rights groups Human Rights Watch RW and Amnesty International for “lack of comments” on the matter.
The Russian Foreign Ministry’s spokeswoman Maria Zakharova has criticized international human rights organizations’ lack of action and comment as apparently “selective” in light of mass crimes allegedly committed by Ankara against the Kurdish population.
“We presume that all reports, particularly documented ones, about brutal and massive human rights and international law violations should be thoroughly investigated,” Zakharova said in an official statement published on the foreign ministry’s website.
“For these purposes, there are special international procedures and mechanisms. Essential is that they have to be used impartially and objectively.”
Zakharova also criticized international human rights groups, Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International in particular, which are supposed to be spearheading the investigation, for not being active enough and their “lack of comments” on the matter.
“We think that international human rights organizations, such as Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International should be the ones drawing the international community’s attention to the issue as they claim to be experts in this field,” she said.
The foreign ministry “took a close look at materials presented by the RT channel” which showed the aftermath of Turkey’s so-called anti-terrorist operation, Zakharova said, insisting that the absence of comments from human rights organization on this issue demonstrates an “ambiguous and selective approach they take in covering human rights violations.”
While admitting they have not seen RT’s material and petition so far, Amnesty International, however, said that they are actively monitoring the situation in southeastern Turkey and that they have repeatedly urged Ankara to put an end to its aggressive policy in the region. Meanwhile HRW said their Turkish researchers “are still looking into the allegations, but are not available to comment at present.”
RT launched a petition calling for a UNHRC-led investigation into claims of alleged massacre of Kurds by the Turkish military during Ankara’s crackdown in the country’s southeast. It is based on materials that an RT crew recorded as it visited Cizre in Turkey’s Sirnak province following reports of a brutal military crackdown in which some 150 civilians were allegedly burned to death.
Zakharova’s statement echoes that of Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov who also advocated the launch of a probe into Ankara’s military actions. Meanwhile, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said he will continue the crackdown on Kurdish communities in the country’s southeast. He insists that such actions are aimed at ensuring peace in the country and countering terrorism with an “iron fist.”
RT.com’s ‘Justice for Kurds’ news feature
‘We will look into it’: Amnesty on RT’s #JusticeForKurds petition after Moscow’s reproach
Amnesty International has promised to examine the facts outlined in RT.com’s petition calling for a probe into alleged mass killings of Kurdish civilians by the Turkish military. The statement came after after the NGO’s “selective” approach was criticized by the Russian Foreign Ministry.
The global charity will “comment on this issue” once it obtains “more up-to-date research findings,” a spokesperson of the Amnesty International press officer Clarisse Douaud told RT in an emailed statement, adding that the organization “has not seen this petition” so far.
In the meantime, the NGO says that it actively monitors the situation in the field of human rights violations in Turkey’s southeast, and has repeatedly called on Ankara to stop the crackdown on Kurds in the region.
“Amnesty International actively looks into the worrying situation in the field of human rights in the southeastern Turkey and we speak audibly about it,” a spokesman for the organization told TASS on Friday.
“For several months, Amnesty International urged the Turkish government to lift disproportionate restrictions on freedom of movement, including 24 hour curfews and other arbitrary measures that deprived the [local] population of access to medical aid, food, water and electricity…” the spokesman added.
The charity’s response follows Russian Foreign Ministry’s spokeswoman Maria Zakharova’s harsh criticism of its inaction which she voiced earlier on Friday. She accused Amnesty International of employing an “ambiguous and selective” policy in dealing with human rights violations.
The Russian Foreign Ministry “took a close look at materials presented by RT channel” that demonstrate the aftermath of Turkey’s so-called anti-terrorist operation in the city of Cizre and the Sur district, Zakharova said in an official statement which insisted that “any documented reports about brutal and massive human rights and international law violations should be thoroughly investigated.”
Earlier, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov also called for an investigation into reports of massive human rights abuse in south-eastern Turkey against Kurdish nationals.
Before the ministry rebuked Amnesty International for inaction, on March 11, the charity simply refused to give any comments on the issue in response to another request from RT International. “We will not be able to comment on this at this time and must decline your offer,” a spokesperson from the organization replied to RT.
On March 17, RT launched a petition calling for a UNHRC-led investigation into claims of alleged massacre of Kurds by the Turkish military during Ankara’s crackdown in the country’s southeast. It is based on materials that an RT crew recorded as it visited Cizre in Turkey’s Sirnak province following reports of a brutal military crackdown on the civilian population in the area.
According to the February reports, the crackdown involved murdering hundreds of civilians trapped in basements with some 150 people being burned to death.
Apart from Amnesty International, the footage shot by RT journalists in Cizre has been submitted to Human Rights Watch (HRW), the international and Middle East branches of Medics Without Borders (MSF), the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR).
The ICRC told RT they cannot investigate the issue as they do not have an office in Turkey while the OHCHR only offered a press-release from February 1 and MSF gave no reply.
Five dramatic videos of Turkey’s operations against the Kurds, RT.com, March 19, 2016
EDITOR’S NOTE: We remind our readers that publication of articles on our site does not mean that we agree with what is written. Our policy is to publish anything which we consider of interest, so as to assist our readers in forming their opinions. Sometimes we even publish articles with which we totally disagree, since we believe it is important for our readers to be informed on as wide a spectrum of views as possible.