In Turkey / Türkiye
Two news reports enclosed.
PKK splinter group claims responsibility for Ankara bombing, says it’s revenge for Cizre
RT.com, Feb 20, 2016

After the Feb 17 bombing attack in Ankara against Turkish military convoy (Umit Bektas, Reuters)

After the Feb 17 bombing attack in Ankara against Turkish military convoy (Umit Bektas, Reuters)

The Kurdistan Freedom Hawks (TAK), a Kurdish militant group, has claimed responsibility for the Ankara bombing that killed 28 people on February 17, according to its website. It said the attack was in retaliation for Ankara’s military operation in Turkey’s southeast.

The TAK, which is a splinter group of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), vowed to continue its attacks.

The militant group claimed in the statement published on Friday that the Ankara blast was carried out to avenge the “defenseless and wounded civilians brutally massacred in basements in Cizre.”

“Everyone should know that those who ordered the massacre of civilians were responsible for the Ankara incident.”

It identified the perpetrator of the Ankara bombing as a 26-year-old Turkish national born in the eastern city of Van.

The militant group operates in Turkey and northern Iraq and is regarded as a terrorist organization by Ankara and the US. It has claimed responsibility for a number of attacks since 2004. The latest one was the December mortar attack at Istanbul’s Sabiha Gokcen airport that killed one man and damaged five aircraft.

The TAK has said that it severed links with the PKK. The latter, in turn, has reportedly denied having any control over the TAK.

The group is seeking the creation of an independent Kurdish state that encompasses parts of southeast Turkey.

Meanwhile, the Turkish government had accused forces linked with the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia of the terror attack in Ankara. Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu vowed to continue the military efforts against Kurdish groups in Syria.

In turn, Syrian Kurds denied responsibility and blamed Islamic State militants (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) for the attack.

In recent months, Turkey has been stepping up a military crackdown in its southeastern regions, populated predominantly by Kurds. Erdogan has vowed to continue the military campaign until the area is cleansed of PKK militants.

Earlier in February, Turkish Interior Minister Efkan Ala said that a military operation against the Kurdish militants in the country’s southeastern district of Cizre had been completed. The district became the scene of bloody fighting after a ceasefire between the Turkish government and PKK disintegrated in July 2015. According to reports, dozens of injured people were trapped in basements without food, water or medical supplies while medical access to the area was denied.

Homes in Cizre, eastern Turkey targetted by Turkish military offensive, image on Feb 19, 2016

Homes in Cizre, eastern Turkey targetted by Turkish military offensive, image on Feb 19, 2016

Meanwhile, on Friday, a member of the Turkish parliament from the pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) accused the military of atrocities claiming they had “burned alive” more than 150 people trapped in basements.

“In the Cizre district of Sirnak, around 150 people have been burned alive in different buildings by Turkish military forces. Some corpses were found without heads. Some were burned completely, so that autopsy is not possible,” Feleknas Uca told Sputnik, adding that “most” of those killed were Kurds.

TAK claims responsibility for the action in Ankara

Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (also known as the Kurdistan Freedom Hawks, Teyrêbazên Azadiya Kurdistan, or TAK) has released a statement claiming responsibility for the bombing against a Turkish army convoy in the Turkish capital city Ankara on February 18.

Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (also known as the Kurdistan Freedom Hawks, Teyrêbazên Azadiya Kurdistan, or TAK) has released a statement claiming responsibility for the action against Turkish army convoy in capital city Ankara.

TAK said the action that resulted with hundreds of dead members of the Turkish Army was conducted to avenge the defenseless and wounded civilians brutally massacred in basements in Cizre. “Everyone should know that those who ordered the massacre of civilians were responsible for the Ankara incident”, it underlined.

The statement also recalled TAK’s previously highlighted statement that they would avenge every Kurdish person victimized by attacks.

Calling attention to the most barbaric and immoral attacks suffered by the Kurdistan people in their history today, TAK said silence on this crime against humanity meant complicity to this atrocity.

TAK said the action was carried out by Abdulbaki Sönmez (ZINAR RAPERİN), born in Van’s Gürpınar district in 1989, who has taken part in the Kurdish freedom struggle since 2005, and in the ranks of TAK since 2011. Raperin was a combatant of the Immortals’ Battalion.

TAK reiterated loyalty to the memory of their fallen comrade, and vowed to continue enhancing the struggle everywhere until occupant fascist forces are expelled from Kurdistan.

Read also:
Turkey burning people alive in trapped basements a deliberate policy, Sputnik News, Feb 20, 2016

Cizre, eastern Turkey on Feb 19, 2016, showing Turkish military actions

Cizre, eastern Turkey on Feb 19, 2016, showing Turkish military actions

Video on RT Ruptly showing house in Cizre, eastern Turkey where 150 residents burned alive by Turkish military, footage shot on Feb 19, 2016

*****

EDITOR’S NOTE: We remind our readers that publication of articles on our site does not mean that we agree with what is written. Our policy is to publish anything which we consider of interest, so as to assist our readers in forming their opinions. Sometimes we even publish articles with which we totally disagree, since we believe it is important for our readers to be informed on as wide a spectrum of views as possible.

Recent Posts
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Start typing and press Enter to search