A conversation to celebrate the launch of China’s Great Road; Lessons for Marxist Theory and Socialist Practices by author and economist John Ross. China’s Great Road features ten articles by Ross published between the years 2010 and 2021, all of which provide a clear analysis of China’s economic and foreign relations policies over the past decades. More importantly, Ross’ writing cuts through Western propaganda and directly addresses China’s socialist project, its history and growth, and what could be possible for future socialist countries around the world. In this discussion, we will celebrate Ross’ work, address the current economic context of China, and the relevance of this book to China’s current geopolitical position.
Published on The People’s Forum NYC, June 4, 2021
The accumulated achievements of China since its revolution of 1949 are so great that they have now not only changed the world but must lead every socialist and progressive person to think about their relation to them. This is a situation only comparable to the way Russia’s 1917 revolution transformed the world.
China, after its revolution, has achieved the greatest improvement in life of by far the largest proportion of humanity of any country in human history. China’s Great Roadexplains how China achieved this enormous step forward for humanity. The unequivocal answer the book gives is that socialism achieved this huge advance. It analyses this at numerous different levels.
If the international left does not raise itself to understanding China’s successful socialist development then it is lagging in understanding one of the most enormous facts in human history. China’s Great Road both analyses China’s reality and shows how socialists in other countries can and should learn from China.
- John Ross, author of the book and Senior Fellow at Chongyang Institute for Financial Studies, Renmin University of China
- Wang Wen, Professor and the Executive Dean of Chongyang Institute for Financial Studies, Vice President of Silk Road School, Renmin University of China
- Radhika Desai, Professor at the Department of Political Studies, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada and Director of the Geopolitical Economy Research Group
- Vijay Prashad, Executive Director of Tricontinental: Institute for Social Research and the Chief Editor of LeftWord Books
- Brian Becker, Director of the ANSWER Coalition, Founder of the Party for Socialism and Liberation, and Host of The Socialist Program with Brian Becker
Click on photo above to publish a copy of John Ross’ book in US
Click on photo above to buy a copy of John Ross’ book in UK /Europe