In Multipolarity

Press TV, Oct 15, 2016

Gholam-Hossein Dehqani, Iran’s deputy permanent representative to the United Nations (UN photo)

Gholam-Hossein Dehqani, Iran’s deputy permanent representative to the United Nations (UN photo)

Iran’s deputy permanent representative to the UN has warned against continued sales of weapons to Saudi Arabia and Israel, which are in violation of other territories as well as humanitarian laws.

“We are deeply concerned about the destabilizing repercussions of the continual entry and export of such weaponry into the region, especially into Saudi Arabia and the Zionist regime of Israel,” Gholam-Hossein Dehqani said.

He said both Saudi Arabia and Israel are “engaged in aggression and violation against other countries and in flouting their commitments to international humanitarian laws.”

Dehqani was speaking at the annual meeting of the United Nations General Assembly’s Disarmament and International Security Committee at the world body’s headquarters in New York, IRNA reported on Saturday.

He said the Saudi regime was using “British and American bombs” against vital Yemeni infrastructure.

Saudi Arabia has been pounding Yemen since March 2015 in an unsuccessful attempt to reinstall a former ally as president. The war has killed more than 10,000, according to UN figures in August.

Dehqani also stressed the need for disarming Israel of its nuclear arsenal and for the regime’s accession to the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty (NPT), saying “the most dangerous weapons are in the hands of the most dangerous regime in the Middle East.”

“The Zionist regime has recurrently perpetrated violations, occupation, genocide, and terrorist activities; and nuclear weapons in the hands of such a regime constitutes the most dangerous threat to NPT signatories in the Middle East,” he said.

Israel, which has refused to sign the NPT or allow inspections of its military nuclear facilities, keeps an estimated stockpile of some 200-400 nuclear warheads.

Separately, Iran’s envoy to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) urged the complete annihilation of chemical weapons stockpiles. Alireza Jahangiri, addressing the body Executive Council in The Hague, also urged those countries in possession of such weapons to act on their commitments within the framework of the organization’s Chemical Weapons Convention and non-members to join the Convention.

Jahangiri also urged international cooperation to prevent the use of chemical weapons by terrorist groups, a scenario that he said posed a threat to international peace. He called on member countries of the organization to refrain from providing support, financial and otherwise, to terrorist groups.


Houthis urge intl. probe into Saudi airstrike in Yemen that killed 140

Press TV, Oct 16, 2016

Scene of Saudi Arabia aerial bombing of funeral ceremony in Sana'a, Yemen on Oct 8, 2016 (photo by AFP)

Scene of Saudi Arabia aerial bombing of funeral ceremony in Sana’a, Yemen on Oct 8, 2016 (photo by AFP)

Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement has called for an international probe into a Saudi airstrike on a funeral in the capital Sana’a on October 8 that killed at least 140 people.

In a statement issued on Sunday, Ansarullah urged the United Nations to form an independent committee to investigate the airstrike. The outgoing UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon “should form an independent and international investigation committee headed by a high-profile, neutral and international personality as soon as possible to probe war crimes committed by the coalition in Yemen,” the statement read.

In one of the deadliest single attacks on Yemen, Saudi warplanes bombarded the funeral hall packed with mourners in Sana’a on October 8.

The United Nations Security Council has so far failed to agree on a statement condemning the airstrike. The Ansarullah statement further noted that the Riyadh regime’s acknowledgement that it wrongly hit the funeral “does not clear its leadership of violating international humanitarian law and all humanitarian norms and conventions.”

A statement by a Saudi investigative body said on Saturday that the kingdom had carried out the strike based on what it called bad information. Saudi officials initially said their aircraft had not carried out any attack on the Yemeni capital that day.

The incident prompted global condemnation, with Human Rights Watch saying the airstrike was an apparent war crime. The leading rights group on Thursday said Saudi Arabia had used its position in the Human Rights Council “to obstruct efforts to establish an international inquiry into ongoing violations in Yemen.” Therefore, the Saudi regime had “no place on the UN body,” the New York-based group added.

The group called on both the United States and Britain to immediately suspend all arms sales to Saudi Arabia.

More than 10,000 Yemenis have been killed since the regime in Riyadh launched its deadly campaign against the impoverished country in March 2015.

Related readings
‘Apparent war crime’: HRW blasts Saudi carnage at Yemen funeral, slams U.S. & UK arms supplies
, RT.com, Oct 14, 2016

U.S. and UK continue to actively participate in Saudi war crimes, targeting of Yemeni civilians, by Glenn Greenwald, The Intercept, October 10, 2016

U.S. admits Israel is building permanent apartheid regime — weeks after giving it $38 billion, by Glenn Greenwald, published in The Intercept, Oct. 6 2016

 

*****

EDITOR’S NOTE: We remind our readers that publication of articles on our site does not mean that we agree with what is written. Our policy is to publish anything which we consider of interest, so as to assist our readers in forming their opinions. Sometimes we even publish articles with which we totally disagree, since we believe it is important for our readers to be informed on as wide a spectrum of views as possible.

Recent Posts
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Start typing and press Enter to search

Translate »