The heads of the Donetsk and Lugansk Republics in eastern Ukraine have asked the United Nations Security Council to establish an international tribunal to investigate and prosecute those responsible for waging civil war in Donbass.
“Donetsk People’s Republic [DNR] and Lugansk [LNR] People’s Republic are addressing the UN Security Council with a plea to establish an international tribunal for legal prosecution of those responsible for violation of the International Humanitarian Law and crimes against humanity in Ukraine,” the DNR head, Aleksandr Zakharchenko, and LNR head, Igor Plotnitsky, said at a joint press conference. Those found responsible should be brought to trial, they stressed.
The heads of the republics are calling for the leaders of Russia, the US, China, Great Britain and France to consider this proposal at the next UNSC session. “Expecting your soonest reply to the proposal,” Plotnitsky said.
Aleksandr Zakharchenko said Kiev’s operation in Donbass is “a direct violation of the Geneva convention.”
“Not one death will be forgotten. Those responsible for the deaths of our women and children, for every human loss that took place, they will be called to account,” said Zakharchenko.
“Dear Ukrainian soldiers! Please do not think that coming to Donbass means coming to Wonderland. According to your deeds, will it be done to you. If you kill, torture and rape here, an equal calamity will come to your home. We’re going to find you at the world’s end,” Zakharchenko added.
The military operation in eastern Ukraine began in spring last year after residents in the Donetsk and Lugansk Regions refused to recognize the coup-imposed government in Kiev.
On February 12, in Minsk, peace negotiations between the two sides resulted in a second ceasefire agreement. The first was signed in summer 2014 and was violated practically immediately. The current ceasefire is also being violated on a frequent basis. Shelling in the self-proclaimed Donetsk and Lugansk People’s Republics happens every other day, with each side pointing the finger at the other.
Zakharchenko said the prosecutors’ offices of both republics have collected copious evidence of war crimes committed by Kiev troops. “There is a considerable volume of evidence of the Ukrainian National Guards’ involvement in torture and killing of civilians. Dozens of mass graves have been found on territory that was occupied by Ukrainian troops,” Zakharchenko said.
The DNR and LNR also have evidence of Ukrainian troops using weapons prohibited by the international arms conventions, including cluster and phosphorous bombs.
Since the beginning of 2015, an estimated 1,212 civilians, including 25 children, have died in shelling incidents. According to DNR and LNR statistics, since the start of the conflict, 3,684 civilians have been killed in both republics, including 522 women and 65 children.
UN data states there were 6,417 deaths in the Ukrainian conflict from mid-April 2014 to May 30, 2015, with an estimated 15,962 people wounded. The war has affected around 5 million, of which about 1.2 million became refugees.
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko estimates the conflict’s death toll to be nearly 9,000: about 1,800 servicemen and 7,000 civilians.
Over the 15 months of the conflict 4,868 buildings and private households have been destroyed, among them 63 hospitals, 150 schools and 135 kindergartens. In addition, 1,616 infrastructure installations have been damaged or leveled completely, including factories, mines, power stations and waterways.
There are tens of thousands of buildings in the Donbass region that suffered minor damage. Over 6,200 people were made invalid. More than 2,000 people in Donetsk People’s Republic are missing.
The UN watchdog notes that these statistics are conservative and real losses could be much higher.
The situation in Donbass has long since entered a state of humanitarian catastrophe, a situation exacerbated by the economic blockade established by Kiev against the rebellious republics.
Russia’s Emergency Ministry has been sending humanitarian convoys to Donbass on a regular basis – 31 convoys so far. They have delivered over 39,000 tons of food supplies, medicine and equipment needed to restore normal life in the war-torn region. The 32nd humanitarian convoy to Donbass will hit the road on July 16.
* Ukraine commentator Alexander Motyl in favour of blockade of Donbas, response to Motyl on Milakovsky.livejournal.com, June 22, 2015
At a kindergarten in “DPR”-controlled Dokuchaievsk (32km south-west of Donetsk), the SMM noted some broken windows and shrapnel grooves on a west-facing exterior wall. Inside, it noted some damaged furniture and equipment. The SMM observed no crater impacts.
In “DPR”-controlled Svobodne (49km north-east of Mariupol), the SMM noted 15 shell impacts, assessed to have been caused by 120mm artillery rounds fired from the west. The SMM observed three destroyed houses, which it assessed to have sustained direct hits. A number of other houses had sustained damage. According to “DPR” armed personnel and residents of the village, an elderly woman and her adult son were killed in the shelling. The SMM observed a destroyed house where residents said the victims had lived. Human remains and blood were at the scene. The shelling occurred between 04:10 and 04:50hrs on 7 July, according to residents in neighbouring “DPR”-controlled Telmanove (50km north-east of Mariupol). In “DPR”-controlled Starobesheve (81km north-north-east of Mariupol), the head doctor of the hospital later told the SMM that two civilians killed in Svobodne had been taken to the morgue, which is attached to the hospital.
In nearby Telmanove, the SMM noted six shell impacts in a 75 by 300m rectangular area. The SMM noted shrapnel damage to and broken windows in numerous apartment blocks; a direct impact on the roof of a coal heating plant, one of whose walls had partially collapsed; a hole in the roof of the maternity ward in the local hospital; shell craters in the yard of a kindergarten, whose walls sustained shrapnel damage and whose windows were mostly shattered; a shell crater on the main street in the village with shrapnel damaging an overhead gas pipeline, fences and homes; and, a large crater in a yard. The SMM assessed that the damage was caused by 152mm artillery shells fired from the west-south-west. In the grounds of the hospital, the SMM noted two new military-type trucks with a cable running from each of them into the hospital. On the roof of a nearby concrete grain silo, the SMM saw radio antennas and repeaters. On the far end of the street, the SMM noted cement blocks cutting off access. According to local inhabitants, the shelling – which occurred between 05:00 and 05:25hrs on 7 July – resulted in a 14-year-old girl sustaining leg injuries.
In “DPR”-controlled Sakhanka (24km east of Mariupol), residents told the SMM of hearing 60 explosions in the direction of nearby Dzerzhynske (25km east-north-east of Mariupol) between 04:30 and 05:30hrs on 7 July. In Dzerzhynske, the SMM observed a small crater caused by an 82mm mortar round in front of a house, which had sustained shrapnel damage to its front wall and windows. At the back of the house, the SMM observed two large craters, which it assessed to have been caused by artillery rounds. At a dis-used boarding school for mentally disabled children, the SMM observed that shrapnel from an airburst had damaged the windows and walls. The SMM observed that a chicken coup in the yard of a house had been completely destroyed by a direct hit. The SMM assessed that all rounds were fired from the north-west. No injuries were sustained, according to residents.
EDITOR’S NOTE: We remind our readers that publication of articles on our site does not mean that we agree with what is written. Our policy is to publish anything which we consider of interest, so as to assist our readers in forming their opinions. Sometimes we even publish articles with which we totally disagree, since we believe it is important for our readers to be informed on as wide a spectrum of views as possible.